Friday, May 18, 2012

Cleaning out my closet - where do I start?

Nothing worthwhile is easy!
I've long held on to clothes that don't fit, look good nor are in style - whatever that is. When I didn't have an income, I saved all clothes that fit me - whether they were flattering or not.

I'm moving soon and think it's time to clean out the closet. What do I keep? How much do I really need? I started purging my closet a few months ago but I know I still have a long way to go.

I want to reduce my possessions down to what I can realistically manage, what I need and love. How am I going to do this? I'm not sure yet and will need to do research!

I've started reading the Simple Living Blog and Becoming Minimalist. I've had a change in life style in the last five years and it reminded me of what's truly important. Possessions and "things" aren't what's important in life - it's looking around and appreciating the simple things. The everyday things you may be taking for granted because you're working so hard to get ahead.

When was the last time you watched a sunrise? Listened to the birds early in the morning without having to rush around for work? I've found that I didn't stop to appreciate the beauty around me and although I didn't have much else at the time, a perfect sunset or sunrise made my day. How sad it is when you're so busy getting ahead that real life passes you by without notice.

When my kids were home and I was younger, I didn't take the time to set goals, identify values or prioritize my time and activities. I was so busy just raising them that living intentionally wasn't a thought.

Now I'm older and hopefully wiser. Living with less is important to me so that I'll have time to live intentionally. That's where cleaning out my closet comes in - it's the first step for me to live a simpler life intentionally.

Project 333 is something new to me - living with 33 things - garments, accessories and shoes for 3 months? Pack up the rest and put it away? Hmmmmmm, could I do this? I'm not sure. I wonder how others have divided up the most essential 33 items in their closets?

They suggest that you keep only the things you love, that fit and that's flattering. If you've lost weight - alter it or get rid of it. Okay.... I won't have much left in that case! I think I would have to pull out my most favorite things, make outfits with them and go from there. Another blog about minimalism that I think you'd enjoy: The Everyday Minimalist.

Wish me luck!

No comments: