Thursday, May 24, 2012

It's called getting a grip

I have a few things to take care of in my personal life - nothing major, mind you. Just getting my shit together, fast and big time!

The last six years I've faced major financial difficulties. Became ill and couldn't work - faced homelessness and all that comes along with it. It was an eye opener and believe me, it can happen to anyone. Even me.

After being in a shelter and then living in a county home, I finally was able to get a section 8 to help with housing expenses. Hard to talk about and even harder to admit to anyone let alone the whole world on the net.

I think it explains my obsession to own land, a house or even a mobile home. I also have to be realistic. I'm now on SSDI and have a stable income even if it is at the poverty level. Still, it's better than the $262 per month I received on state disability. How do you live on that? It was difficult to say the least.

I am starting to come out of a relapse. I'll never be 100% again and I've come to terms with it. Never be able to work at a job I loved and went to school for which was the longest three years of my life. Up until my last relapse in February, I thought I could do something to bring in an income but between this illness and the resulting relapses, I've finally realized it's just not going to happen. Evidently Social Security knows that too now because I was finally awarded my disability.

So given my circumstances, where do I start? Coming to terms with my present situation - that's where! I have a stable income now but I own nothing besides a little furniture - which was free - and the clothes in my closet.

Yep - that's it! And it's a sight more than I owned a few years ago. I'm not feeling sorry for myself but I do want my life in some semblance of normalcy. The question is - what's that?

No comments: