Tuesday, May 22, 2012

I have this idea about a home....

I've wanted my own home as long as I can remember. I worked as a nurse and started traveling in 2001 to save money to buy land and build. Well, illness got in the way and I was side tracked for a while.

Now I've seen an opportunity to buy a lot cheap in northern Michigan. I live just between Detroit and Toledo off of I-75 at the moment. People in this neck of the woods frequently travel to the northern part of lower Michigan on the weekends for recreation. I think I'll be one of those people but I'm going to live there.

I'm going to do a site plan and build in stages. First would be getting the utilities, well and septic there and then I'm going to build a garage apartment to live in. After the house is built, I can use it as income property. I guess I can't do that after all!

The garage/apartment plan is at justgarageplans.com and is called Comfortable Cottage or plan 10-156. I've been checking into the simple life and this would certainly fit the bill for a while.

I've looked up the building requirements and am impressed and surprised at all the regulations. No white siding - it has to have a natural look with earth tone colors. The lot is treed and you can't simply tear them down - each tree removal has to be approved by the POA. A section of the restrictions:
and to minimize the cutting of healthy trees. Building details consistent with this character are moderately steep roofs, moderate overhangs, brick, stone, stucco, wood or wood-grained siding, softer colors such as earth tones, and avoidance of
plain rectangular shapes. Other buildings on a Property Unit should be architecturally similar to that of the residence. Landscaping, including replanting of trees, should maintain the maximum number of healthy trees consistent with good forest management, safety and providing reasonable light for plants and ground cover. The Association has the authority to determine conformance with these guidelines as described in the above paragraph
POA Restrictions POA Website, MOA Building Manual.

Thank goodness I like the area and the thought that has gone behind these reg's! The minimum size home to build is 1200 sq. ft.

No dwelling shall be permitted on any Property Unit in the Restricted Property unless the living area thereof is at least 1,200 square feet with a minimum first floor living area of at least 1,000 square feet. The site plan shall include provisions for at least a two-car garage.
No building on any Lot within a plat or divided land for use as a single-family residence shall be erected nearer than 50 feet to the front Lot line (side facing the street) or nearer than 20 feet to the side Lot line, or nearer than 35 feet to the rear Lot line unless otherwise specified in the individual declaration for the Land Development in question
because of unique conditions for that Land Development
More on the sewer and septic restrictions:

all septic tanks and tile fields shall be located on the roadside or front of the dwelling to facilitate hookup to municipal sewer when it becomes available or, because of site limitations, with the specific approval of Northwest Michigan Community Health Agency, in an optional location.
3000 sq. ft. huh? I wonder what my lot is?

the area of the septic tank and tile field, excluding the area of all required lot boundary required setbacks, driveway areas and required setbacks of septic tank and tile fields from house, shall contain not less than a “net” area of three thousand (3,000) square feet of surface land area suitable for installation of septic tank and tile field. The purpose of this requirement and restriction is to provide for adequate space in which to relocate a septic tank and/or tile file in the same general area in case of failure of same
 shall require as a condition of such approval the above referred
to three thousand (3,000) “net” square feet of land for septic tank and tile field area. This requirement may be modified or waived by the Northwest Michigan Community Health Agency
I've looked at quite a few POA reg's but this is the first I've seen that specifies the size of the well:

water wells drilled on individual Property Units shall utilize a casing of at least four-inch outside diameter and the well screen in each case shall be installed at least 100 feet below the land surface and at least 50 feet below the water table unless
otherwise approved by the Northwest Michigan Community Health Agency
It further goes on to tell you that you have to draw a permit for well and septic before any clearing, driveway installation begin. Also, you have six months to get the outside finished from the time of starting:

All buildings erected in the Restricted Property shall have their approved exterior finishes completed within six months from the date construction of such buildings shall have commenced.
You know - I'm not sure why but this just doesn't sit too well. These restrictions I would have chosen myself when building - right down to the well size - but having a governmental agency tell me that I have to is a little unsettling.

Would I move there though? You betcha! They will also protect my investment and prevent it from becoming an eyesore. 

Resources for building in cold weather climates:

BIYtoday.com - an owner-builder site giving instruction from start to finish. A self-build site.
Building America Cold Climate Guide - best practices using energy sciences.
Affordable Zero Energy Homes - from National Renewal Energy Laboratory.
Building Profile Very Cold Climate - from BuildingScience.com
Building Science Pontiac Plans - I don't care for the plans themselves but I can use the details to make sure I get it right!
Comfort in a very cold climate - ditto on the plans!
Green Building Advisory - an article about drafts.
Cold and very cold climate publications - from Building America.


I'll update this post with the site plan after I've completed it!

No comments: